Sunday, July 8, 2012

Gainsbourg: A Heroic Life

If you are an artist, this is a must see movie. I love it when I think a movie is going to be good and it turns out to be better than I could have imagined: Gainsbourg: A Heroic Life is one of those films. I knew Serge, sang, acted (yawn), but I had no idea he was, or rather wanted to be, an artist. A large portion of this movie covers Serge's life as a disillusioned artist. He carries a sketch book journal with pen, ink, and water color paints. There is a scene where he is messing with a large group of very well worn easels. Who must've painted on those? The movie even offers a glimpse into Salvidor Dali's house; I just squealed with delight! You'll know it when you see it! The director Joann Sfar is an artist and clearly the person to make this fabulous tribute. This goes on my really short of list of best movies I've seen so far in 2012. Warning: scenes from this movie will stick in your mind for days; that's a good thing

No comments: