Thursday, March 4, 2010

Rosa



I had an appointment with a dermatologist this morning. My face thing gets better, then worse. I was not going to try to figure out what it is via the web. They shuffled me into a little side room and told me to sit on the edge of the table thing. The doctor will be with you in a bit. I turned around to see what was on the other side of the room and froze. It was a poster - at least 24 x 36 - of Rosa Parks on the bus. I've never seen an image so moving. I started to cry. I could not image a woman doing what she did. She wouldn't give up her seat and was arrested for it. Yes, the poster is a picture taken a year later, but it's got quite the punch. She could finally ride on the bus where she wanted and she wouldn't be asked to move again.

I've thought about her all day.

Rosa Parks

No comments: