Thursday, January 6, 2011

Catching up on Movies I Saw in December - ITM4L


For the record - Do Something Art-ish Everyday - I drew a couple of cartoon femur bones that I'm going to turn into stencils for my Peeping Tom Jesus.

Most of December I had a cold that just wouldn't go away. Working in a small room with no ventilation didn't help either. It all turned into a chest infection that required antibiotics - the first one I've ever had. Needless to say, I had a bit of downtime to watch movies. I'm going to start with the earliest one and work back.

In the Mood for Love is directed by Wong Kar-wai and stars Tony Leung and Maggie Cheung. You may recall they were Broken Sword and Flying Snow in Hero. Premise - In Hong Kong 1962, two young couples rent an apartment in the same building, on the same day. The spouses of each work long hours and occasionally need to take business trips. Both are often alone and have several chance encounters. The cinematography of Christpher Doyle and Pin Bing Lee is lovely. The hall way texture/lighting and outside-the-building torn posters/rain-on-sidewalk scenes are magical. The sound track is bit quirky, combing a largely string instrument number with a layer of the most haunting violin on top with Nat King Cole singing a Spanish version of Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps.

A treat for the ears and eyes.

No comments: