Friday, July 5, 2013

Venice Home and Garden Tour



Ok, darn, so I've already missed the 2013 Venice Home and Garden Tour. Like, I was going to actually make it there anyway. My ideas of Venice, CA are stuck in the '70's - Surf's up, Dude! Uh....I'm way off here, aren't I? The canals are the attraction for me. I have a kayak (quite unused these days) and it would be cool to just pop in and scoot around the neighborhood. I love Catherine Hardwicke's version of Venice in the 70's ala The Lord's of Dog Town (which, btw, is one of my favorite movies) The film contains my favorite Heath Ledger role - Skip Engblom. Check out Stacy Peralta's Dogtown and Z-Boys skate culture documentary for some great 70's CA pics.

Yeah....these aren't surf shack hangouts; these are very high end homes.

I stumbled onto an article about John Frane's 1930's bungle. I like the architectural element of stacking bricks around an above ground fire pit (I know - "pit" is the opposite of "above ground").



Back to Catherine... there are quite a few scenes shot in the inside of Catherine Hardwicke's Venice Beach home. Her home is a nod to the surf culture of yore and she has some really quirky art work that gives the place some personality. That's what I thought all Venice Homes looked like. Uh....no.

No comments: