Saturday, July 20, 2013

Medora



I've lamented for a while that so far this year, I have yet to see a film that knocked my socks off. I saw that film last night - Medora. Medora is a documentary about the loosing basketball team the Hornets and how the players attempt to cope with their lives in a small town in Indiana who has seen its glory days come and go. The idea for this film came from an article in the New York Times.

I was on the edge of my seat the entire time; it was hard to watch at times. My brother and I were lived with my grandmother in a small town not far from Medora. I could really relate to their lives. Tossing kids around like last years lawn ornaments is really tough to deal with. Anyway....

Medora is an absolutely amazing film. Interviews with older folks who talk about the glory days, scenes of bleak, endless harvested corn fields with criss-crossing railroad tracks, abandoned trailer courts near the river, and 16mm home movie clips tell the tale of a small town struggling to keep its identity and pride in its local school system.

Medora won some well deserved accolades from the film festival.

BTW, I have a brick from the Medora Brick Plant.

No comments: