Sunday, March 2, 2014

True Romance


I saw this movie when I it came out in 1993 and loved it. Quentin Tarantino script directed by Tony Scott. True Romance stars just about everybody - Christian Slater, Patricia Arquette, Brad Pitt, Gary Oldman, Christopher Walken, Val Kilmer, Dennis Hopper, Chris Penn, Samuel L Jackson, James Gandolfini. I love the premise; A novice (4th date in 3 days) call girl is hired by a comic books store worker's boss to give him a good time on this birthday. They hook at a Sonny Chiba film fest and things are not quite the same after that. 

Very eclectic characters and great acting, but something just doesn't quite click this time around. I really didn't like the movie as much I thought I did at one point. Maybe it's seeing so many films directed by Tarantino and realizing Tony Scott just does not quite hit the mark. It almost seems to be made by a Tarantino wanna be. Tony Scott has directed some amazing films; he gets close here, but manages to miss the mark. 

Clifford Worley, played by Hopper, was a weak character up to the point where he stands up to Coccotti. Maybe that's how were supposed to see him; he seems completely worthless, but will not snitch on Clarence. Some other characters just didn't seem to quite it the mark; close but no cigar. No, I am not a movie director. I think that maybe I've been ruined by watching so many Tarantino movies that I expect his directorial handling of his scripts. 

No comments: