Sunday, January 6, 2013

Kula Shaker, Headswim, and The Seahorses



I saw Kula Shaker @ the Cabaret Metro in Chicago on April 12, 1997. The Cabaret Metro was a very small, intimate concert experience with a tiny floor area in front of the stage and a balcony that ran around the top. It was a very Elizabethan-type theater. It was quite magical; everyone sang along to every song on K. I really like the BritPop sound but not necessarily all the bands. I want my BritPop a certain way. I love the British reference points in the lyrics, the 60's jangly-clangly guitar riffs, and the nod to the mod hair cuts. Sorry, I can't help it. I never liked bands like Oasis or Blur. No appeal there really.



Headswim opened for Kula Shaker and they did this song - Tourniquet. Oddly enough, this video was recorded on Feb 13, which happens to be my birthday.



I ran across this video of a band named The Seahorses. They appear to have gotten close to fame, opened for the Stones and U2, but a break up in 1999 pretty much sealed their fate. Never heard of them. Love the guitars! Really nice job on the video - the bobby on the boneshaker is a hoot.

No comments: