Monday, January 21, 2013

Matru Ki Bijlee Ka Mandola


I'd watched the trailer for this movie at least 5 times and decided that I would be able to squeeze in a 2.5 hour movie last night. Matru Ki Bijlee Ka Mandola is a fun movie to watch! Here is an explanation of the title.

The story follows a wealthy entrepreneur named Harry, who has visions of using the farmer's land to build a huge factory. He as two personalities - one when his is drunk and one when he is sober. His daughter, Bijlee, is betrothed to a local politician's son, Baadal, who is a rude fool with no empathy. Early in the film as a show of his love and wealth, Baadal buys Bijlee a South African dancing troupe because she likes African music. The dance troupe ends up in all sorts of scenes where dancing is required. Harry's man Friday, Matru, tries to keep the drinking to a minimum while clearly simmering for Bijlee. Very appropriate dancing/singing scenes. Now that I do Zumba, I can really appreciate an athletic dance number. I was tapping my foot and wiggling in my seat to the music. I laughed out loud several times!


There is a scene where Matru accuses Bijlee of having the Meena Kumari complex. This is precisely why I watch movies; if I can learn something I previously didn't know, then it's all good.  

No comments: